Monday, March 24, 2008

Your Questions

Some people have sent me emails with individual questions. I've responded to those emails, but I thought that other people might have the same questions. Feel free to post any questions you have about my experience in India in the Comments section of this post (Your Questions). I will answer your questions in this post only, so check back for updates. After I answer your question, you can always add more questions or follow-up on previous answers. Just click on Comments to pose a question. You can remain anonymous if you like, although I would like to know who is inquiring.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I had similar experiences in Namibia. Being the center of attention, that is. Presumably, it wasn't my race, nor my relatively light complexion either. Namibians are of several shades of brown. Seems like everyone just had a knack for picking out the american. I wager your quite the oddity in India. I can guess to three reasons; your black, your black-american, and the last would be a tad ribald to type on your blog so I'll leave it to the imagination. ;) have fun!!

Eclectic Soul said...

How do they know I'm American unless they hear me talk? I could be Nigerian or Jamaican.

Unknown said...

And you thought we had color consciousness issues. Geez.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F-9tcXpW1DE

Eclectic Soul said...

Yeah, I've seen a lot of commercials like that here. You will not any darker skinned (S. Indian)women on the commercials.

Tona said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tona said...

I am thinking about doing an internship in India although I am scared of facing racism. outside of the stares that you got was anyone rude to you?

Eclectic Soul said...

Tona - I don't think anyone was intentionally rude. There were some people who tried to get over on me by charging ridiculous prices, because they knew I was a foreignor. I think the rest of the behavior was just out of curiosity. I felt comfortable going out on my own after I was able to travel with native people who showed me around. They showed me where it was safe to go and also gave me a general idea of how much I should expect to pay for things. They also served as my translators. Make sure you have a cell phone and someone you can call for emergencies. Other than that, I think you'll have a great internship experience. Don't be afraid to try new things.