Monday, March 17, 2008

Stir Crazy

I am so bored! This is a really nice hotel, but there is nothing to do around here. I go downstairs for meals and the staff is really friendly, but there's nothing to do except stay in my room. I could sit at the pool, but it's too hot. I asked the people at the front desk if there was anything around here, and they suggested one of the hotel restaurants. So, I clarified my question. "Is there anything to do outside of the hotel?" They had a brief exchange in Hindi, and then said, "No, there's nothing around here for tourists." UGH

A lady from the office called me to discuss my transportation for later this evening. She and her team are responsible for my travel arrangements. She said this hotel was chosen because of its proximity to the office, but other than that there is nothing around here of interest. I have to wait until I get to the office tonight and talk to my co-workers about meeting in the city to do things before work.

I don't know how working at night is going to affect my desire to go out during the day. I will be working from 7pm to 3:30am IST (8:30 - 5:00pm CST). I guess you could say I've adjusted well to the time. Last night, I went to sleep after 3am because I had to watch CSI and CSI:Miami. I turned off the TV before CSI: New York could keep me up another hour. I woke up around 8:30am and went downstairs for breakfast. I came back to my room finished another Mumbai tourist book, checked my email, saw that one of my friends was still online and chatted briefly. Later, I went downstairs for lunch and enjoyed one of the best, if not the best, Indian meals I've ever had. Most Indians are vegetarian, so they can do things with vegetables that are beyond the creativity and culinary skills of the West. I need to do something a little more productive than eating. ; ) I still have a few hours to kill before work. I'll probably take a nap.

Random Thoughts
  • People around the world know so much about America - good and bad. As I type this line, there is a newsflash about Britney Spears' latest hairstyle on TV. There was a news story on the TV during lunch about an Indian company's new manufacturing plant in Arkansas. How many Americans can identify an Indian state? Mumbai is in Maharashtra.
  • I keep hearing a song during commercial breaks and I can't remember the name. It's the first few bars of a Nina Simone song on piano.
  • Mumbai is hot. I sat outside for 5 minutes yesterday afternoon and was forced to return to my room.
  • Mumbai has an industrial smell.
  • Tata owns everything. http://www.tata.com/0_companies/index.htm#global. Every other commercial is for a Tata product.
  • There are a lot of commercials for insurance companies and banks. I think the commercial cycle is: 1) Tata product, 2) insurance company, 3)Tata product, 4) bank/investment company, 5) beauty product (hair care, skin whitener, makeup), repeat. I've actually figured out some of the dialogue because I've seen the commercials so many times.
  • I keep forgetting to take my malaria pills at the same time everyday. I need to set an automatic reminder for myself somehow.
  • A lot of men work in this hotel as house keepers.
  • Juno is a great movie. I saw it on the plane. It reminds me of Girl Interrupted and Little Miss Sunshine.
  • If I were at home, I would be sleep right now with another hour before the alarm goes off.

2 comments:

Dr. Hak said...

Take pictures!

And take your pills when you wake up and when you eat dinner.

To fill time, make some of that "i can make that" art you've been talking about!

JuNene K said...

It's sooo funny to read your posts- insightful as well, but I can just hear your voice saying those things. lol.