Sunday, March 23, 2008

busy day

Today was one big adventure. I woke up around 6am and couldn't go back to sleep. I read a little bit before showering and going downstairs for breakfast. The hotel staff greeted me. "Good morning, Ms. Stephens." I like to sit by the window of the restaurant facing the pool, but that is the smoker's section. Thankfully, none of the smokers came down while I was eating my breakfast, so I ate in peace. (Aside: Why do smokers always get the good seats by the windows or the patio?) I was dressed and knew that I was going to do something other than stay in my room today, but I didn't know what that something was. I went back to my room and saw that it was still too early to call anyone. I waited a couple of hours before picking up my phone. Something was wrong with the phone and it wouldn't allow me to dial out. I had to use the phone in the room to call one of my co-workers. We were going to the mall, but she had to run a few errands before she could go. She asked if I wanted to join her and I accepted. I had to figure out how I would get to her place. She, like most Mumbaikers, does not drive. I'd asked the guy at the front desk if the hotel had a car for rent earlier in the day. He said it starts at Rs1200 for 2 hours and goes up from there. That was much too expensive. After talking to Moumita, I decided I would try a rickshaw. She gave me her address and I proceeded downstairs. I asked the front desk guy where I could catch the rickshaw and how much I should expect to pay. I went outside to the street and a rickshaw just happened to be coming my way. I told him where I was going ( I wrote the address on a slip of paper) and got in. On the way there, he stopped to ask one of his buddies exactly where it was. I arrived at my destination within 15 minutes. Moumita met me outside and we proceeded to her flat.


The apartment was small (appx 500 sq. ft.). Her roommate has a 2.5 year old named Advev aka Chucky. He was really shy and wouldn't talk to me at first. Then, he warmed up to me and we started playing together. He even shook my hand later in the rickshaw (it was a game to him), and he laid his head on my shoulder. His mother, Rashmi, told me that she's separated from her husband. It seems that it is becoming a trend in Mumbai for men to walk away from their families in a place where it was unthought of in the not so distant past. Divorce has a horrible stigma in Indian society. The woman and her family feels the brunt of it, and she is treated very badly for the rest of her life.


We went to the bank and grocery store. The store had three levels - groceries on 1, clothes on 2, and housewares on 3. It was a fairly inexpensive market. We went back to the flat for lunch. Rashmi cooked chicken curry South Indian style. We sat and talked for a while after lunch. I was invited to hang out with them again next weekend. The power went out for about 30 minutes and the apartment became a sweatbox. I hadn't heard Chucky speak a lick of English all day, but suddenly he started saying "electricity" over and over again. The power goes out twice a day in the city. I know that the power goes out at the hotel during the day, but it always comes back on a few seconds later. I suppose they have back-up generators at the hotel. I didn't realize it was happening all over the city. So many of us take it for granted that when we flip the switch we have light and air. Local residents also have to boil their water to remove impurities.


I had to use the loo before leaving for the mall. I walked in and immediately walked back out. I
needed instructions on how to use the toilet! I'd read about the Indian-style toilet, but I really wasn't expecting to ever use it. The hotel has modern Western facilities, and the office combines both styles. They don't use tissue, but a hose to rinse themselves. See the picture.


Later, we went to the flea market in a rickshaw. There were lots of people and dogs perusing the open market. Across the street from the market, hawkers had their wares on the sidwalks. We left the flea market and headed to the mall. Two malls were literally feet away from each other. The malls were bigger than the one I visited last week. One of them looked like it was plucked from LA and transplanted to Mumbai. All around were name-brand stores like Reebok, Wrangler, United Colors of Benetton, etc.



All day long, I was the main attraction. I don't like being the center of attention for everyone. I don't know what it was about me that made everyone stop and stare. I wore jeans and a t-shirt, which is not uncommon; especially not in the mall with all the Western stores. (I was surprised to see a couple of women with spaghetti straps.) Was it my skin? Half of the people around me, including Rashmi, were my complexion or darker. Maybe it was my hair. It is currently twisted, and I pinned the back up in a bun. At first , the attention was subtle, and I didn't mind it so much. There were a lot of double takes. People saw me and then had to look again to be sure they saw what they thought they saw. A couple of people in the grocery casually tapped their friends to tell them to look at me. One little girl gave me a really mean look, but I saw her do that to other people and realized she was probally just a mean little girl. When we walked around the flea market, people stared at me. There was a lady walking directly behind me. I think she was studying my hair. Every time I turned around, she was grinning at the back of my head almost tripping over me. At the malls, I was profiled. Store clerks stayed 2 feet behind me at all times. In one department store, 4 of the clerks crowded around the rack I was looking at and looked away when I looked up at them. Later, a woman snapped a picture of me with her camera phone on the escalator. I was trying my best not to be the stereotypical ABW, but I was getting annoyed. We went to the food court on the top floor. Rashmi and I split up to get our items. As I walked down the corridor, a woman did a total 360 when she saw me. She was facing me as I walked toward her and she turned her body completely around when I passed her. I turned back and looked at her, and she hurriedly looked away. I was so ready to get out of there. I didn't tell my shopping companions what was happening. The next time I go out in public, I'll wear a salwar kameez and cover my hair. I would like to see if that makes a difference in their reactions to me.



Rashmi and I left the mall together and took a rickshaw. Her flat is on the way to my hotel, so the driver dropped her off and continued on. I arrived at the hotel with just enough time to tune into Easter Sunday service online at my church. I logged in and was unable to view it. I tried another ministry and was unable to view it also. I was very disappointed. Last night, I wanted to watch Netflix movies online, but they are only available in the US. I thought Streaming Faith was available worldwide, but I guess not. UGH. After that disappointment, I was hungry, so I ordered room service. All I wanted was a sandwich and fries, no sauce/gravy or exotic spices. I had a good dinner and talked to an old friend online for a while.



Today was a very full day.

3 comments:

JuNene K said...

Ok sooo.....that bathroom is scary. I'm just wondering, if you don't use tissue- do you shake yourself off from the water?? I mean, look, I'm gonna do my business then hose myself down? Do I have the option to towel? lol. I would be "holding it" for 3 weeks. lol

Secondly, the mall scene was really funny- I could just see your face as everybody stared at you. Absolutely hilarious!!! The girl almost falling over you...priceless. That was sheer comedy- I would have paid to be a fly on the wall in that mall.

Love and miss you greatly!

Unknown said...

You're meant to use that hose for what now? Fantastic. You know, every so often, as I hover over my local dookie-hole, I think to myself "wouldn't it be great if I had a hose to spray myself off with?" Sadly,it is not to be.

Eclectic Soul said...

JuNene,

I think a lot of the men here find that toilet too cumbersome. I've seen a lot of them stopped on the side of the road to "take a leak". Imagine driving from Brooklyn to Manhattan and seeing them doing their business on the bridge. Also, I usually see several men squatting on the side of the road on my drive from work to the hotel.

Che,

I thought you would be able to tell me how that hose is supposed to work since you're an experienced international traveler. How do you keep your clothes dry in the process? Are you supposed to sit there and drip-dry after hosing yourself down?