Monday, August 16, 2021

Love in the time of Covid

In the summer of 2019, I decided that I was going to visit Machu Picchu in 2020. I started looking at flights and various tours. In the midst of my searching, I received an email from Living in the Light about a retreat in Peru in March of 2020. I would be able to enjoy a wellness retreat, visit Machu Picchu, and see Lima within the same trip. I immediately decided that once again the retreat came at the perfect time for me.  I wouldn't have to plan anything other than my flights, so this was a win. I made the reservations and I was ready to go. My flight was scheduled to depart for Peru on March 13, 2020. However, I received a cancellation email from United Airlines on March 12. After that weekend, the world as we knew it came to a stop due to the Covid-19 global pandemic. In the spring of 2020, we foolishly thought things would be normal again by the fall. The retreat was rescheduled for August 2020, then March 2021.

In the meantime, all international travel was on hold. My last international flight was to Mexico for my birthday in January 2020. I flew to Chicago for a funeral in June. I remained grounded after that, but I didn't stop exploring. I embarked upon road trips around Texas, and had a good time visiting new places and revisiting others with great companions.

During 2020 and the first half of 2021, I experienced loss, as did the rest of the world. Life changed dramatically.  The world that I knew changed.  We lost my mom's 2 surviving sisters - Aunt Mae, my rock, and Aunt Mil, my great tree - as well as other loved ones. There was a lot of grief and pain. However, what I felt most was love. Love from my family and friends, love from God through grace, and love for myself. I knew things would be better.

The Living in the Light retreat was rescheduled to August 2021. Before leaving home for the airport in Houston, I paused to think about what I wanted to take with me to this sacred space built by the Incas, and my eyes landed on Aunt Mil's tam. It was easy to carry and fit easily into my already full bag. "Auntie's beautiful, cute, educated, pretty, sweet, little traveling niece" finally visited Machu Picchu and took a symbol of the giants who built the platform for me to stand. While there, I carried with me the love and light that I received, and I radiated joy. It wasn't because of the location though. It was inside of me all along and I only had to recognize it like Dorothy.





Sun Gate that the sun illuminates only during the solstice


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

��������������������������❤������