Tuesday, September 11, 2018

All Hands and Hearts

I had 2 objectives that I wanted to achieve in the course of my journey around the world. The beginning of my journey was mostly personal - letting go and working on going with the flow, which is still a work in progress. The current part of my journey involves helping others. I'm in Lombok, Indonesia volunteering with All Hands and Hearts. 

The island of Lombok was struck by several earthquakes with the strongest occurring on August 5th. Almost half a million people were impacted when their homes were destroyed and many lives were lost. The island is still experiencing tremors on a regular basis. (We had 2 just this morning.) The projects in Lombok include providing meals for more than 3000 families, demolishing hazardous structures, and removing rubble so that families can begin rebuilding.

AH&H has several projects around the globe where they support communities impacted by natural disasters. I first learned of the program in Houston, because they have a team there working on recovery from Hurricane Harvey. They enlist the support of volunteers from around the world for whom they provide room and board at no cost to the volunteers as long as they can get to the site on their own. It takes a lot of resources to support the communities and volunteers. I've seen the work of AH&H firsthand, and I know that whatever we can do makes a big impact on the people who lost their homes and livelihoods after the earthquakes.

Please consider supporting All Hands & Hearts by donating $50 or whatever you can to support this initiative. Check out my fundraising page here:
https://give.allhandsandhearts.org/fundraiser/1623359 
I helped remove the rubble from this home with a sledgehammer and shovel.

Full buckets of food to be delivered to villages

Food delivery schedule for the day


No comments: