Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Welcome home!

For months, I have stood out because of my differences. Yesterday, I arrived in Johannesburg, South Africa, and no one noticed me. There were no stares. No one asked if my hair was real. I didn't see any fingers pointing at me. No one asked to take a picture with me. I just went about my business unbothered like everyone else. Being surrounded by people who look like my family and have hair like mine felt a little strange at first. I was part of the majority. The only thing I can compare it to is being on an HBCU campus again.

I am staying in Kensington near Maboneng, a trendy (aka gentrified) area of the city near downtown. The weather was warm and sunny, so I walked from my place to Maboneng yesterday. In between there were a lot of mechanic shops, beauty shops, and small grocery stores. It felt familiar. I walked around Maboneng for a while trying to figure out where I would eat. I settled on a restaurant and decided to sit at a table outside, because it felt so good. I moved inside a few minutes later when I felt chilly. The temperature seemed to drop so fast, and then it started raining. I wasn't prepared. It is summer in the southern hemisphere. Why are people wearing jackets? My weather app said it was 59 degrees. My shirt was sleeveless and I didn't have an umbrella. I finished my dinner and waited until the rain slowed to a drizzle before heading home. I wanted to get back before dark, and the sun was setting. There was no Wi-Fi for me to get a ride with Uber. I hurriedly walked down the sidewalks, cold and wet. After I passed the second or third liquor store with a cage (I think the total was 5), it finally dawned on me that I was walking through the hood. I almost started sprinting, but the sidewalks were cracked and missing in some areas, so I had to be careful and fast until I made it back home. As I neared my street, I said out loud, "Never do that again. You know better."

Today, I walked back to Maboneng for lunch. (I felt safe enough to walk in the daylight, but I was warned to keep my phone hidden.) I stopped at one of the salons that advertised relaxers, dreadlocks, manicures, pedicures, etc. on their wall, but this one stood out because they also had shea butter. I've been putting off retightening my hair for weeks and I need shea butter for my dry skin, so I decided to go in and check their prices. I walked out with a pedicure and shea butter, and I ended up making a hair appointment for tomorrow. I also stopped by a tailor's shop on my way to lunch. I'll have new custom-made outfits in a couple of days. It's a good thing I shipped my clothes from India back home, because I'm going to need the space. I went to a sushi restaurant, called "Blackanese". The waiter asked where I was from. (I might look like everyone else on the outside, but I can't hide my American accent.) I told him I was from America, and he said, "Welcome home". He also offered to make a list of the best places to visit while I'm here.

South Africa held the #3 spot on my travel bucket list for years behind Australia and Brazil. I'm so glad I finally made it, and I look forward to seeing as much of the country as I can. More to come.





P.S.  I started on my Dubai post, but I need more time to finish.  It's coming.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Liz, have heard of Alleilua Ministries Inc..(aka, AMI) under the leadership of pastor Alph Lukua. I have been watching him on YouTube. Services are on Friday evening and 3 services on Sunday. Let me know what you think, of you get a chance to attend a service? Safe travels
Love Cousin Wayne in Houston

Eclectic Soul said...

I wasn't able to attend when I was there.