Thursday, September 13, 2018

I come in peace

I have been volunteering with people from around the world who took time away from their families, their jobs, and their lives to help people recover from the devastating earthquakes in Indonesia. Many of them have worked on previous projects elsewhere in the world with All Hands and Hearts and they continue to volunteer their time and resources when they can.

There's a team that helps prepare hot food for villages where people can no longer cook, which is my favorite job. It mostly entails cleaning and chopping produce, like pounds and pounds of onions and garlic for the cooks. We also have teams that are helping families demolish what remains of their homes. Other teams are removing rubble from homes that were previously demolished.
When rubbling, I wear steel toe boots, a hard hat, work gloves, eye protection, and a face mask as I shovel bricks and concrete into wheelbarrows to be relocated. We work for hours in the sun, bending and digging to get the job done. We drink lots of water, but we sweat so much that there's no need to pee. I have never worked so hard in my life, and I have never been so dirty. I sometimes just walk to the beach after work for an ocean bath so I can immerse my whole body and feel clean. I really hate the physical work. I have to reframe my thinking though. I could focus on what I don't like, but I have to remember why I'm here. I am a reflection of God's love, and the work I'm doing is as unto the Lord.
All smiles at the kitchen

Removing rubble one brick at a time

Enjoying delicious coconut water after rubbling

The people in the village say thank you or "terima kasih" as they see our purple shirts pass, even if we're not working on their house at that moment. The families that we help sometimes offer us coffee or tea or the ultimate reward, a fresh coconut. Sometimes they can offer nothing but a smile. Those smiles remind me of why I'm doing hard labor without payment. Because of our work, they can build a temporary shelter for their family or start rebuilding the foundation of their home.

Yesterday, one of our volunteers on a demolition site was severely injured and carried to the road on a door turned stretcher. All work stopped so that she could be rushed to the hospital. She has been stabilized since then and is on the road to recovery. The people of the village helped the volunteers as best they could. It was a reminder that the work we are doing, while helpful, is also dangerous.

Please continue to pray for the people of Indonesia and the All Hands and Hearts volunteers in Lombok. You can contribute to the disaster recovery work by donating here: https://give.allhandsandhearts.org/fundraiser/1623359

4 comments:

Laura Gustafson said...

Elizabeth. Just caught up! I read all your blogs for June to the September ones. What a fantastic journey. Glad you are well now. Thailand definitely seems a great place and what experiences you are getting from helping others. You will definitely be a different person. Travel broadens one’s outlook on life and how others live. Loved my card. You look very good. Laura

Laura Gustafson said...

So I was looking at a map of where you are. Just wondering if you plan to go to Australia or New Zealand while you are on that side of the world. Going from US to Australia is a long flight. Looks like you could almost swim from Indonesia. Lol! Laura

Unknown said...

Hey Liz this is KJ just checking on you I've been reading your blog I'm happy for you see you in January

Unknown said...

Amazing experiences, Liz! Continue doing God’s work. Be blessed, have fun, and find the beauty in your travels and adventures.