Friday, July 12, 2019

Pack light

Here's an update on my packing list for Operation Let Go.
  • One of the straps on my backpack was ripped apart when I landed in Krabi. Amazon gave me a refund, and I ordered a new one.
  • My Fitbit charger broke when I pulled it out of my bag. I ordered a new one on Amazon after an unfruitful search in Bangkok.
  • I ordered hiking boots after I arrived in Chiang Mai, but they were returned before I wore them.
  • I was given 5-finger "Vibranium" shoes that replaced my running shoes, swim shoes, and hiking boots.  I only carried those shoes and flip flops.
  • I needed safety equipment and camping supplies for my volunteer work in Indonesia. I added the following: safety glasses, work gloves, quick dry cargo pants, mosquito net, inflatable mattress pad, compact sleeping bag, and steel toe boots. It took some very creative packing to fit everything in my bags. I wore the boots in the airport so I wouldn't have to carry them. I walked like Herman Munster in those heavy boots.
  • I mailed some souvenirs and clothes home while in Ft. Cochin and Mumbai to make room for other things I might find along the way.
  • I bought another sarong. The versatility is amazing. It can be used as a towel, a bed cover, a headwrap, a dress/top, a covering for temples, a blanket, and more.
  • compact towel
Returns
  • FAMU hoodie that I only wore on planes, but it would have been nice to have it in South Africa
  • Cotton yoga pants - too hot
  • 2 Tank tops
  • Extra underwear and socks - I only needed socks for my boots and on long flights. 
  • Tankini - I wore my one-piece swimsuit if there was a swimming opportunity.
I am grateful for my boyfriend. He was my courier. I had Amazon packages delivered to him, and he would bring them to me when he visited. He also took all my unwanted/unnecessary items back home to lighten my load. Thank you, JaVar!

No comments: