Sunday, July 1, 2018

Get Ready, Get Ready, Get Ready!

How do you prepare for a trip around the world?  How do you know what and how much to take?  How many bags are needed?  Will you have enough space to fit everything you need?

Those are questions I asked myself and others have asked me.  I decided that I'm not taking more than I can carry alone, so I've been preparing myself for carry-on luggage only.  I purchased a backpack from Amazon a couple of months ago that I've been testing out on my weekend trips.  I also bought a small rolling suitcase that can fit under the airplane seat.  I'm still not sure if I'll be taking that rolling bag or not.  It might be good for carrying heavy items, like shoes.  I just don't want to be overloaded with bags that make it hard for me to maneuver.  Pinterest has been great for general and specific travel and packing tips, such as packing lists for female travelers in Asia with carry-on luggage only.  Right now, I have a general idea of what I'm taking with me, and I've begun piling things on top of my bag in preparation to be organized later.  I add or remove items based on the advice from other travelers.  I'll post my final packing list before I leave and share whether it worked or not along the way.  I created an Amazon Travel Wish List for items that would be useful on my trip if others would like to contribute to my journey.  Gift cards from Amazon, Airbnb, and Visa would also be greatly appreciated.

In addition to packing, I've been preparing myself physically.  I went to the doctor for travel vaccines and medication and ordered refills on my prescriptions to take with me, including malaria pills.  Most of my immunizations were up to date from previous visits, so I only needed a Tetanus booster and Yellow Fever shot, and I opted for the Typhoid oral vaccine. I do not take medication usually, and I try to prevent and treat illness naturally.  However, I'm preparing a small first aid kit with ibuprofen, anti-diarrheal, and allergy medicine along with bandages and other basic supplies just in case I need that stuff.  I also took swim lessons and self-defense classes to get ready for the adventure.

One of the most important things to have for international (and domestic) trips is travel insurance. My rule is if it will cost more than $400 to get home, then I need travel insurance.  I like to use Travel Guard or I buy another plan if the cost is lower. I looked at Travel Guard and other options, but what I found did not meet my needs.  After I shared my plans with a couple of co-workers and told them that I was looking for travel insurance to cover a trip like mine with indefinite locations and dates, they told me that there was another product available that wasn't widely publicized.  They hooked me up with a manager in that department, and he sent me information for travel insurance that was perfect for me at a very reasonable cost.  If I get sick or need to be evacuated, then I'm covered.

So many doors of opportunity have been opened since I decided to move forward with this trip.  God has put people in my life who have offered to help me in ways that I never expected.  I'm so grateful to have support from people who understand how important an experience like this is for me.  I carry them with me and look forward to sharing this journey.



No comments: