Saturday, June 9, 2018

Doing it afraid!

2018 is my year of adventure!

I started the year by doing something I never thought I would do voluntarily. When I booked my birthday trip to Costa Rica, the package at the Blue River Resort included 4 excursions - hiking to a waterfall, tubing, touring a dino park, and ziplining. I decided that I would finally give ziplining a try after saying for years that I wanted to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

On the morning of the tour, I walked to the front office at the designated time to meet my guides. When I arrived, they told me I would be the only person on the tour that morning. I later realized that was the perfect scenario for a newbie like me, because all of their attention to safety was focused on me and I could go at my own pace without feeling rushed by other guests. I signed the waiver, and we boarded the van to the starting point. I was given a helmet, a glove, a harness, and instructions on how to hold on to the line and stop. One guide went ahead of me to stand on the platform, and the other guide stayed on the platform behind me setting me up in the harness and sending me off to meet guide #1 on the other side. There were 9 lines with a Tarzan swing at the end.

I hung on the way that they told me to, and I zipped over the Costa Rican rainforest screaming and with a racing heart. One of the lines required that I flip over and hang upside down from the line. Wait, what? After the initial shock of being suspended in the air, I would relax into it for a couple of seconds and look out over the canopy at the luscious green earth below, and then it was over.

I was so scared, but I did it anyway.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay you! I've been talking about zip lining forever, you made it look fun. And you did it afraid! xoxo